Sunday, November 1, 2009

You've gotta see this!!!


Happy Halloween Y'all!! We had a beautiful day of 70 degree absolutely perfect weather!! Here's Thing 1 and Thing 2 as I promised!! I think the costumes were absolutely perfect!!

We had a Dr. Seuss theme going of course, Sam I am and of course the Cat in the Hat!!

Here you can see my poor seam job on Sams costume!! The hat was 3 bucks we went to the dollar store and bought 3 little red hats and sewed them together. We got red and black sweats for the cat and the things and I cut the white felt and used fabric paint for the words. We used a piece of cardboard and some leftover felt and more fabric marker for the words. Tinkerbell is my girls little grandbaby, ain't she cute!!

Here is thing 2 smiling, then she was off and running. The rest of these pictures are of a place in Wichita called Broadview St. It is a neighborhood in College Hill that does this elaborate decorating every year. It is so crowded that it is almost a street fair. Apparently this year the city asked the property owners not to do this because the traffic was such a problem trying to get through the streets. So the home owners hired private security this year and paid to block off the street!! They really go all out with these home made decorations I had to show what a little cooperation between neighbors can do.

Some scary stuff here as you walk by...
In this next picture you can see a big speaker for scary music being played, they also use dry ice and lights for ambiance,

Of course this is Kansas no Halloween would be complete without the Yellow Brick Road and the Emerald City!!! They covered the front of their house with this decor!!

Don't forget Dorothy dropped a house on the Wicked witch!!

Here is the Nightmare before Christmas!! Hand made decorations!!

This one really scared the bean, she turned around without any candy!!

Look at this Pirate ship!!!! They built this thing coming out of their front porch!! And yes that is Wilma on board with all those scurvy pirates!! I don't know where Fred Flintstone is but there is his wife!!

Harry Potter fans love this one!!!!

One of many grave yards!!

This house had animated floating ghosts flying over head around the house and over the side walk!!!

And look at this HUGE castle they made to put in front of their house!! I just love the work that was put into this for our children!! These people decided not only to continue the Halloween tradition but to pay, out of pocket, for security and to have the street closed to traffic for 3 block!! I am very grateful for the passion these people have and what they give back to the community. I am grateful my children get to enjoy this!! My little ones got there early enough to be able to walk slowly and take it all in. The crowd started to build as we were leaving. They walked a total of 6 blocks collecting candy!! they were worn out!! it was awesome, i love the holidays. I hope you all had as much fun as I did this season!! oh and more to come with Wes's birthday and Thanksgiving in November, 2 birthdays in December plus Christmas!!!! Oh what a wonderful start to the season!! I promise to catch up to the Flash 55 tomorrow!! Here is todays thought; "Gratitude is the memory of the heart." ~Jean Baptiste Massieu, translated from French

17 comments:

Midnitefyrfly said...

wow the costumes look GREAT and how exciting to trick or treat in such an elaborately decorated neighborhood. looks like SO much FUN!!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I think you did an outstanding job on the costumes. The kids looked like they had a great time.
I am always amazed at how elaborate people can get with the holiday decorating...so much fun!

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

That looks like an absolute blast!

Nessa said...

The kids look great. i wish I lived in your town. i love Halloween.

Book Review #5 - Merle's Door

Shadow said...

oh man, you sure went all out! love thing 1 and thing 2!!!!

G-Man said...

WOW!!!
Your hood goes all out!
Great Pics!!

Annsterw said...

Amazing neighborhood!!!!! I need to move near you!!!!! What fun!!!!!!!!!

Ms Hen's said...

What fun.............. !! Sounds like a happy and bright day..

P.S. Thanks for your comment on my blog.. (hugs) to you.. thanks for understanding.. and I see you have similar experiences..

Lou said...

Nobody hardly decorates where I live anymore. They don't even call it Halloween here, it's called Harvest Festival.

Those people went all out, I admire their sense of humor!

Tall Kay said...

Those are the cutest costumes I have ever seen! What a clever idea. Our newspaper had a contest and your costumes were way better than any of the ones that won.

It's nice to know there are still folks around who are willing to make Halloween special for the kids. How fun!

Syd said...

Great decorations. It all made me smile.

Just Be Real said...

Thing 1 and Thing 2, love it. Great pictures. Wow, that house they certainly took a lot of effort to make that castle. Thanks for sharing. Blessings....

Her Big Sad said...

That is so cool! you did an awesome job on their costumes, and what a fantastic thing for a neighborhood to do! A safe place for the kids to really experience a memorial Halloween! Thanks for sharing the pix!!

Dulçe ♥ said...

this is so lovely my friend... full of life and bright!
***

dtbrents said...

Great pictures. What wonderful parents you are to make sure there are memories and joy in your children's life.Doylene

Unknown said...

Thing 1 and 2 look amazing, they all do! Wow, your town is amazing...I am just blown away by all of the decorations and fun it looks like so much fun!!!!
Thank you so much for sharing these, made my day!!!
xo gabi

Chic Mama said...

Oh WOW! Now I know why you all love halloween so much...looks fantastic! How exciting for the children. I would have loved to have done something like that as a child...even now.
The costumes are great, they all look so cute. :0)